To be informed of the latest news
Chemical analysis and characterization of paint and varnish in a laboratory
Your needs : to analyze a paint or varnish, to characterize a defect found in a batch of industrial paint or varnish
What is industrial paint made of ?
Paint or varnish is liquid mixture allowing for the surfaces of industrial products to be protected, dyed or improved. Paint is generally made up of 3 main components :
– The pigment (dye and opacity)
– The binder, giving the paint its consistency and transparency
– The solvent, allowing for easier application as a liquid. Once the paint is applied the solvent evaporates and the paint hardens.
Other ingredients can be added to strengthen the paint’s resistance to outside influences
Paint is generally applied in multiple layers on a smooth, clean surface.
Why analyze a paint or vanish ?
The chemical analysis of a paint or varnish can have different goals :
– to verify that the product is compliant with relevant standards
– to analyze the chemical composition of a paint or varnish
– to reverse engineer a varnish
– to study a defect or product failure after paint or varnish was applied
Analysis and characterization of paint or varnish can in fact be needed after a defect is detected on a product’s surface (stain, adhesive problems, scales, color change…). After the identification process, analysis allow for the origin of the defect to be characterized.
The application of paint or varnish must abide by a scope statement in line with standards and regulations or industrial requirements, with particular attention given to :
– The quality of raw materials being used to make the paint
– The desired characteristics of the finished product
– The quality of the coating faced with different outside constraints
Assistance from an analytical laboratory will allow you to ensure that the paints and varnishes you use are in compliance with relevant standards.
Our solution : to analyze the quality of your paints and varnishes and to provide you with tailored solutions to optimize their characteristics
Relying on extensive experience in analytical chemistry, FILAB laboratory can provide analysis and characterization services for your industrial paints and varnishes, adapted to your requests :
- Conformity analysis of your paints and varnishes
- Pigment analysis
- Impurity and contaminant detection
- Advice in the choice of paints
- Varnish, paint and polymer stress testing
- Lead and heavy metal analysis of paints
- VOC analysis (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- Deformulation/Reverse engineering services
These chemical analysis are performed using different techniques :
Why FILAB ?
As an independent laboratory, with a team made up of experienced doctors and engineers, FILAB guarantees the reliability of its results, ensures a quick turnaround of requests and provides tailored support for its clients.
For more information about our analysis of paints and varnishes, feel free to contact us
The positive aspects of FILAB
A highly qualified team
Responsiveness in responding to and processing requests
A complete analytical park of 2100m²